Application of the Critical Theory
Books by Michael R. Ott
- If you know of other books written by this author that are not listed below, please E-mail them to me, and I will add them to the list.
Professor Ott retired from Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan.
You can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2001 ~ Max Horkheimer's Critical Theory of Religion: the Meaning of Religion in the Struggle for Human Emancipation. Lanham, Maryland: The University Press of America, Inc. (0-7618-2121-X or WMU Call # BL 9999.2.O87x)
- 2007 ~ Future of Religion: Toward a Reconciled Society. Leiden - Boston: Brill Publishers (9004160140)
- 2004 ~ "A Critique of the Ambiguity of Bourgeois Religion: Max Horkheimer's Critical Theory of Religion",
published in Religious Innovation in a Global Age: Essays on the Construction of Spirituality, [Ed.] George Lunkskow, Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc., p. 97-113.
- 2004 ~ "L'ambiguité sociale de la religion" [The Social Ambiguity of Religion]" a critically expanded version of Chapter 4 from my book on Horkheimer's Critical Theory of Religion,
published in the critical French social journal, X-Alta: Terreur et Sacralité: dans la religion du Capital, Abjat/Bandiat, France, Novembre, p. 45-62.
- 2005 ~ "A Critical Theory of Religion Critique of the Globalization of Civil Society,"
published in Religion and Civil Society: Between Nationalism and Globalism, Ed. Tatyana Senyushkina, Simferopol: Tavria, p. 184-191. ISBN 966-572-785.
- 2005 ~ "Reclaiming the Revolutionary Substance and Potential of Religion: The Critical Theory of Religion,"
published in the Michigan Sociological Review, Volume 19, Fall, p. 155-180.
- 2006 ~ "A Critique of the Neo-Liberal Colonization of Religion in the United States"
published in Religion and Civil Society, 2006. Tatyana Senyushkina[ed.] Simferopol:Tavria, p. 173-183. ISBN 966-435-001-X
- 2006 ~ "The Notion of the Totally 'Other' and its Consequence in the Critical Theory of Religion and the Rational Choice Theory of Religion,"
published as Chapter 5 of Marx, Critical Theory and Religion, Warren Goldstein [ed.], Brill Academic Publishers.
- 2006 ~ "Psalm 91," my translation from German to English of Max Horkheimer's article.
published as Chapter 4 of Marx, Critical Theory and Religion, Warren Goldstein [ed.], Brill Academic Publishers.
- 2007 ~ "Max Horkheimer's Negative Theology of the Totally Other."
published as Chapter 6 of The Future of Religion: Toward a Reconciled Society. Michael R. Ott [Ed.] Leiden - Boston: Brill Publishers.
- 2007 ~ "Civil Society and the Globalization of It's 'State of Emergency:' The Longing for the Totally Other as a Force of Social Change."
published as Chapter 11 of The Future of Religion: Toward a Reconciled Society. Michael R. Ott [Ed.] Leiden - Boston: Brill Publishers.
- 2007 ~ Suzanne-Brown Fleming's The Holocaust and Catholic Conscience: Cardinal Aloisius Muench and the Guilt Question in Germany for Shofar: Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies (Vol. 25, No. 3), W. Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University Press.